Saturday, May 2, 2009

"Swim Now for Autism Event"


**check out Christine's awesome post on the Autism Walk at dynomitegirlandfamily.blogspot.com













Today was a GREAT day! The weather was . . . well, grim at best, if you planned on spending hours outdoors . . . which was exactly what was in our forecast. We knew that we were going to be involved in a very special event, Utah's Second Walk Now for Autism. What we didn't know was that it would become a “Swim Now for Autism”. The Children couldn't have been more wet even if they had we jumped into a swimming pool . . . Wait that happened. Mason fell into an actual kiddie pool filled with plastic ducks while trying to win a prize. The large air slides, well, Notice no other children in the picture. Don't children flock to these things? Yes, Just My Son, with a large puddle looming. Mason's second "swimming pool" of the day.

At one point I thought Could it rain any harder? When do you start looking for flotation devices? Or an Ark??? Would I do it again? A resounding Yes! With a larger umbrella! Note to self Buy one or two!
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You – to all of my family and friends who generously donated. I really appreciate it.


As We met up this morning I asked all of my sisters why they planned on walking today. We all have different reasons, although a strong common denominator is love. I wanted to post the video here, but rain, time, rain and cold children eventually changed those plans.

So, Here's a few of my reasons :
I walked today because I care, Autism has forever touched my life. I walked today because the numbers have reached unjustifiable proportions, 1 in 150 children will be diagnosed with Autism, The numbers in Utah are 1 in 133 children, those numbers are staggering! I walked today because I want to be a piece in solving the puzzle of Autism. I walked for the 67 cases that were diagnosed today, for the 67 families that now will face challenges they never expected. I walked today because Autism doesn't receive the funding needed nor the coverage deserved from insurance companies. I walked today in the cold wet rain because this disorder never takes a day off, it never pauses for a more convenient time. I walked today with the heartache of knowing and loving someone with Autism. I know the worry, the concern, the financial liability and the hope associated with this disorder. I walked today because I cannot save the world, but I can make a difference, Even if that difference in some regards is small.
















We missed our family members who couldn't make it.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Julie for this post! I loved every word of it. I am glad you mentioned how wet it was. We can do so much more when we join together in love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! This reminds me of our walk event. It did not rain, but it was bitterly cold! We never actually *walked* because we could not get Rhema out of the bouncy house! But as you said, it was still a great day... and truly uplifting to see so many united for this cause.

    ReplyDelete