Wednesday, May 6, 2009

What is your Interests?

We all have interests, some people like books, others may enjoy Trains, Models or History. How about blogging? Or Scrap booking, (something I was never very good at.) We all have likes, children do too. Turtles, Geckos, Mushrooms, Dolls. How about Nature, Outer Space or Rocket Engines, I’ll add Chemistry and Physics to the list too. My Son likes Flowers and Plants and Seeds, (His favorite seed being Morning Glory. *SIGH*) the color Yellow and Dora, Whom he loves and insists is a boy. A couple of weeks ago Mason’s preschool class was learning about seeds, and plants. I think, up to this point, it was the highlight of his year. Finally, he was excited; he had so much he wanted to share, which ironically, didn’t fit into the teachers’ agenda. To reinforce the colors they had learned thus far in the year, she would hold up a picture of a plant, tree, or bush and want the children to identify the color. Mason would usually shout the answer out of turn. That’s an orange marigold, a purple lilac, a yellow sunflower Etc. One mother commented “I think he knows more about flowers than I do.” He probably does. An extreme interest comes with its good and it’s bad. It's intense, very intense.

The good, we have discovered the problem our raspberries were having last year. The raspberries’ are planted on the wrong side of the yard. The plants should face east (not west), and have well drained soil. If the soil has a lot of clay in it, the raspberries’ should be placed in a raised garden. Because of the poor soil and the blistering sun, the raspberries’ develop root rot. Yea, we know the problem,the recommended solution is tearing up the yard; hopefully vermiculite will help get us through this year and maybe the next if we are working off of a list.

The bad, I’m constantly tested. Just this morning we were looking at identification cards, The cards, show a picture of an item on the front, and a paper folds out and tells you everything you would ever need to know about what ever the card is on. We came across an Artichoke card. Mason asks, “What is this?” I told him an Artichoke, It was written across the top of the paper. He responds “No, it’s not.” I explain that I had read it, and showed him where on the card it said Artichoke. I Said, “Let’s sound it out.” “NO, it looks like a succulent.” (A soft cactus) I’m right your wrong, end of story. He’s not mean about it, he’s just confidant that he is right, always right. Another example . . . He will show me a picture and ask “What is this?” I’ll respond with the right answer ,“A Shasta Daisy” “Right, Good Job Mom.” It’s amazing that he uses the same positive reinforcements on me that I use on him.
I know more about flowers now, which still is not a lot, than ever before. I need to be thankful he doesn't love rats or snakes. If anyone has any suggestion on how to get him interested in Physics or Chemistry. You know the old saying Love wat you do and you never work a day in you life. If nothing else I can always smile he I ask him: So, you want to be a horticulturist when you grow up . He becomes serious, sometimes starts to cry and says “No, I want to plant seeds when I grow up.”
I’m blessed to have someone remind me to look at the beauty in the world, someone who helps me see things differently. As Mason would say while we are driving, “I wish that car would move so I can see the flowers.” In other words:I know there is beauty, I my not be able to see it, yet, but I know it is there. Isn't that true with life too? Sometimes we can't see past the moment, the trial, the disappointment or the heart ache to actually see how we have grown, developed and maybe even proved ourselves. Flowers, what a beautiful interest.

3 comments:

  1. I just love Mason, I love that he still has a interest in flowers. I can see him now, he will be giving flowers to his first girlfriend explain why he choose them and what each flower he picked means. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is time for you to study up on flowers, so you can surprise him with some fum botany facts. Oh course he probably won't believe you. LOL, what would we do without children who know more than we do?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow MAson knows a lot about flowers, that is actully suprising how much he knows about botany, at such a young age. By the way how is your garden growing? My sunflowers just started growing.
    Dylan

    ReplyDelete