Wednesday, May 20, 2009

"You're Fired"

“You're fired”, is a phrase that my family coined long before Donald Trump made it famous. Once it became popular I did my best to refrain from using it. We had been saying this phrase off and on again for years, but suddenly it felt like we were just using the hottest catchy phrase.

With out thinking, and after a particular long frustrating day I muttered “You're fired” to Mason. He instantly began to cry, big alligator tears. I didn't think the remark was all that bad, I surely didn't think that it warranted the response it received. After several minutes I finally asked him why he was crying. I didn't get any further than tears. I put my arms around him, told him that I loved him and ask : “What do you think “you're fired” means?” His response “I have to find a new family.” It broke my heart. It was clearly not what I had intended.

I've thought a lot about this since it happened. I've thought about areas in my life where I have fallen short and deserved to “Be fired.” I'm so grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who stands by me when I make poor decisions, Who stands by me when I deserve to “Be Fired,” Who beckons : “Come unto me” When I have been somewhat distant.

1 comment:

  1. Oh that breaks my heart. Poor Mason. But it makes you think about how much our actions affect the little ones around us. I have been thinking about my boys in Germany and how much I miss having them around me. They really taught me so much. Just as Mason just taught me once again.

    ReplyDelete