Monday, May 11, 2009

Fear

One of my favorite quotes is “Fear makes strangers of people who should be friends.”
I’ve long forgotten who wrote it, but I love it, I know it’s true. I find that even in the world of blogging – I often choose not to post comments, not that I don’t have any thing to share, or words of encouragement to offer, but out of fear. Yes, I know – Fear of What?
While I was in Switzerland I would always smile and say hello to people that I passed. One day, as we were returning from the market, I passed an older woman working in the yard. I smiled said Grutizi, and continued on my way. I had walked the length of her yard (having a yard is very, very uncommon) She called me back, and explained that she had forgotten who I was. I explained that we didn’t know one another, and that I just wanted to wish her well. She seemed quite relieved and I continued on my way. In this small community people normally would only greet one another when they were an acquaintance. It was true in that little town, and It’s true in our everyday lives.
“Fear makes strangers of people who should be friends.”

3 comments:

  1. I have the same reservations. I often say nothing or very little out of fear of reception.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to be kind, but I can sometimes be very shy. Thank you for the reminder that we can not bless the lives of others if we keep to ourselves.

    ReplyDelete