Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Life's lessons

Lessons, life is funny about that, right when we feel we are comfortably on the right path some small comment will show far we still have to go. In this case as a family we were headed out the door to do a little shopping. We wanted to stop by a thrift store, a guilty pleasure, and then we needed to pick up a birthday present. Mason had been invited to attend a birthday party for the daughter of a coworker. It was at a time we had a prior commitment, Sydney’s Baptism. As we were in the car Mason asked where we were going, I told him to the thrift store and then I explained that he had been invited to birthday party but he wouldn’t be able to attend so we were going to go and buy a present so he could still give her something. (I never should have broken it to him like that.) I told him that his cousin was going to be baptized and explained that he was following the example of Jesus and that we were going to go to the baptism. It was quite for a moment, he was looking out the window, so I asked “Mason, when you grow up do you want to follow Jesus?” His response “No, I want to go to the birthday party.”

I found myself thinking about life and the lessons they teach, lesson we many want and others that catch us by surprise. Do I get caught up in the things of the world? Or do I follow the quiet promptings of my heart that leads me down a different path?

2 comments:

  1. Julie, that makes you stop and about what sounds more fun to a child from a child's view. Thanks for coming to Syd's baptism

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this story, Mason makes me smile.
    Christine from sunny St George

    ReplyDelete